You want to start learning about CTFs, but you don’t know where to get started. Do not worry! This article will explain all the necessary information about CTFs, and how you can take part in one.
In jeopardy-style CTFs, challenges are divided into four main categories. These are the most common ones :
- Cryptography – involves decrypting a piece of data or file
- Reverse engineering – exploiting a binary file
- Web Exploitation- Exploiting web pages
- Pwn – Exploiting servers
Here are a couple good resources to start learning material for CTFs!
- http://ctfs.github.io/resources/ – Introduction to common CTF techniques such as cryptography, steganography, web exploits
- https://trailofbits.github.io/ctf/forensics/ – Tips and tricks relating to typical CTF challenges/scenarios
- https://ctftime.org/writeups – Explanations of solutions to past CTF challenges. We also post writeups/tutorials on our website.